Thursday, March 1, 2007

hmmmm...

...alright. where do i start? it seems that so much has been jam packed into the last few days. my dad and i arrived on tuesday safe and sound. my first impression of the camp was "wow!" it's greater than any camp i've ever been to...probably because it sits right in the middle of some amazing mountains. it's so strange...it's almost like i don't feel like i'm in southern california. maybe because i'm so far removed from what is normally associated with southern california. for crying out loud, my cell phone doesn't even work where i'm at! i never really thought i was a big fan of cell phones anyway...until i realize that i'm two thousand miles away from home and don't have use of my phone! well...thank the Lord that there is a tiny little place at camp where i can connect to wireless.
ok...so, my cabin is awesome! great big living room with a big stone fireplace. a room with a bed by a window that gives me a peek at the mountains each morning. a bathroom that far exceeds any expectation for a camp bathroom. and the kitchen...well, the kitchen has a little to be desired. but we'll have to share with the guys cabin, because they lucked out with an awesome kitchen.
i'm living with three other girls. tiffany and i (actually, she goes my jiffy. we all have camp names) share a room....and faith and hanna are next door. i think it'll be a good team. we're still in the "getting to know you" stage...and unfortunately, it hasn't been an instant connection like i had with tristan back in our freshman year at judson...but it'll all work out!
the job started yesterday...and i've got so much to learn! it's a litte overwhelming. i've shadowed several classes....things like shelter building, trout pond lab, animal camo, owl archeology. then today we spent several hours doing the climbing wall and the zip line. the days are full...but i love that i no longer have to dress up for work! i mean, really...it's great.
one thing that's not so great....i found out that there's one class where i'm going to have to handle a gigantic turantula and a 5 foot long snake. ok, so the snake isn't so bad. i actually held him yesterday. it was kinda neat. but the turantula...oh man. i didn't know that was in the job description. i was filled with this terrible dread when i found this out. now, i'm not afraid of an awful lot...but spiders. oh my goodness...i hate them with a passion! they are so ugly...creepy...and crawly...and i just shudder when i think of one sitting on my hand. and this is one of those hairy ones with the big huge belly.....and too many legs. her name is rosie. who in the world would name a turantula such a pleasant name like rosie. she should have a hideous name. ewwww. ok, so it's kinda ironic though because one of the themes of mountain and sea adventures is breaking your fears. hmmmm. so i realize that i've got to break down this fear of mine....especially if i'm going to be encouraging students to do the same. so i'm aware of this...but, oh....i can't believe it. i can't believe i'm going to have to hold it. one day...i'll be posting a photo of me with rosie...and i'll rejoice in the fact that i faced this fear. yuck.
i drove my dad to the airport this morning. i had to say my last goodbye. now it's for real. i'm here. i'm gone from there. and it was kind of an alone feeling. so it's going to take a bit to transition. as much as i think i'm going to like it, it's still a transtion. still a change. still an adventure. and it's an awesome opportunity to just cling to the Lord.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Following the Creek!
Yickes! this is my first blogging. Hmmm - soaking in the moment. Does this mean everyone will read my bad spelling? maybe I should stick to normal email.
Well I get that deep shiver thinking of you with a big fat hairy black Rosie spider on your hand. I looked at your place on Google earth and it IS locked away by those mountains. Nice! Your description sounds good and actually puts me to ease knowing this place could be home and 'warm'. What does it take to make something your own; I ponder? In those quiet alone times, however, be confident that this job is what you've waited for. I'm so glad you've started this. Robert

Heather said...

EEEWWWW! I, too, would be freaked out by that yucky 'ole spider! On a nicer note: I can't even imagine waking up and just seeing the mountains in ann their majesty! Well, I can kinda imagine it from being in south africa, but I'm not sure they top the Rockies! And please don't feel alone! We're all only a blog away!

Mary Brady said...

Hi, Brooke! Megan introduced me to the world of blogs. I'm so old, this is very exciting. Megan, Tammie and I are sitting here at my desk. We all miss you. Hope you are enjoying this new chapter in your life. Talk to you soon! Mary