Wednesday, March 28, 2007

friends forever...


together at last...together forever....

ah, yes...the day finally came where i stepped foot into a wonderful new relationship. you might remember me talking about her. her name is rosie, and she is a furry chilean rose turantula. as she walked onto my hand this afternoon, i just knew it was going to be an instant bond. a bond that will never be broken. bosom buddies, kindred hearts, best friends...whatever you want to call it. that's rosie and me.


ok, ok. so maybe it didn't go quite like that. and it probably never will. i was scheduled to help teach the animal class today for the first time. i kinda laughed, because...well, i'd never even touched the thing before. so, jiffy handled rosie with the kids...while i watched. my chance to hold her came later behind closed doors. right before i held her, i felt sick to my stomach. but i just had to do it, there was no way i wanted to back down. once her first leg climbed onto my hand...(i can't believe i'm saying this)....but it really wasn't all that bad. i mean, not that i ever, ever want to have one of my own or would ever enjoy crossing paths with one unexpectedly....but for someone who has always screamed for someone to kill a spider for me, it wasn't as frightening as i was certain it would be. and i don't expect to have nightmares tonight of taratulas climbing all over me. i can even imagine doing that class all by myself one day. i was so glad to have done it.

3 comments:

mom said...

Way to go, Brooke!! Woohoo!
Didn't think I would EVER see a picture of you holding a spider, let alone a tarantula. Wow!

Does that mean the basement centipedes aren't so bad after all either? :-)

Love you, Mom

Heather said...

Eeeewwww.... well, you're braver (is that a word?) than I am! I don't think I could do that. yuk. thinking about it gives me shivers! Hey, anymore celebrity sightings?

Debbie Dimmick said...

I really enjoy reading your blog entries - I feel like I'm having a conversation with you. Since Jon and I lived in the South Bay area (south side of LA) I totally understood your description of San Pedro - been there LOTS of times. I probably took that ferry to Catalina Island 6 or 8 times between 1985-2000. It's so much more pleasant on a calmer day than a rough day - I never had to use the back railing like you did, but saw others out there. There were a couple trips that were so rough you could barely stay in your chair. The last time I went to the island, it was with Alison's 6th grade class to visit a marine institute's camp. Sounds very similar to the m&s camp. As a guest, it was a ton of fun, so hope you realize you are providing a great experience for lots of kids, parents and teachers. We went in November, so it was pretty chilly then, too - I was amazed how warm it was inside the wet suit, though. The kids who wore glasses had the toughest time snorkeling - they couldn't fit the mask over their glasses and didn't feel comfortable going without them. I'm with you on the amazing world under the ocean waters. Speaking of the ocean - we are leaving this afternoon for Florida, to visit a friend in Tampa. Alison is on spring break this week, so we are heading to the sunshine. After heavy storms and a tornado warning last night, we are ready. Oh, and yes, my long run yesterday was 9 miles in the rain. Sunny FL, here we come. I'll send you a postcard.
take care, Deb, Jon, Alison